Thursday, September 11, 2014

Famous Last Words Week 4

This weekend on campus will be a really fun time. OU plays Tennessee this weekend, and it is going to be a great matchup. OU is coming off a strong win against Tulsa last weekend and are heading into the game 2-0. There will be a lot of fun tailgates on Lindsey Street outside the stadium and on campus corner. I am getting all my work done for this class early, so I can enjoy the game this weekend.

I am really excited for it to cool down this weekend. The high for the game on Saturday is in the 70s and the low is in the 50s. Time to bust out the jacket! I was curious as to why it the weather was dropping into the 70s from the upper 90s so quickly when I came across this article.



           
Looks like we are going to have above average snowfall for this winter in Oklahoma! I’m really excited because I’ve only had one snow day while at OU so far, and it was not anything special. When I was in HS in Tulsa, we had multiple snow days that forced school to close for a couple of days. Probably the worst winter weather event I lived through was the Ice Storm in 2008. It was the strangest winter weather because it wasn’t snowing and it wasn’t sleeting. It was raining water that was 1-2 degrees above freezing, so when it made contact with the surfaces on the ground that were below freezing, the water instantly froze and created ice on everything. I live in an older part of town and the power lines are above ground, so when ice accumulated on the branches from the freezing rain, the branches would snap and break the power lines. Also, the power lines were sagging due to the ice and some were almost touching the ground! I, like many other Tulsans, didn’t have power for 7 days, which caused school (and final exams!) to be canceled for an entire week. But it wasn’t any fun because there was no snow on the ground, just ice everywhere, so I really hope that doesn’t happen again this year!

(Weather map from Empire News)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tyler, I also experienced the Tulsa ice storm in 08. I live in midtown where most of the power lines are above ground as well. We lost power for over a week, but we have a generator that is hard wired into our house's electrical grid that kept a few things running. My neighbors had trees fall on both their cars and total them, it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete